We’ve all been there. We walk into an event or seminar and get entranced by the speakers. Their knowledge and their service or product calls to us. It’s just what we need to get our business moving forward, make more money, change our mindset….the list goes on and on.
Many times, entrepreneurs are looking for that magic fix to help them with overwhelm, how to make consistent income, how to get out of the negative thought pattern, how to speak on stages, no matter the issue we always want a quick fix. Why? Because we don’t have the time or energy to work through it or we are simply exhausted trying to do everything all by ourselves. We want a support system that can help us. We want someone to do it for us because it just isn’t our forte.
But just like with any product, service or coaching program, you have to do the work in order to get the results they promise. It’s not science it’s simply action. However, 65% – 75% of people do not take action. They will attend, get inspired, make lists of what they plan to do once they get back to their office and then reality sets in. They see all the emails they need to answer, clients they need to contact, projects that need to be completed and now that inspiration turns into frustration. They put the binder, book or notes up on a shelf where it sits and starts gaining dust, just like the other books, binders, and notes from other events and seminars attended.
Here’s a couple of things to think about before you sign up for any future coaching, service, event, or product buy. Ask yourself these simple questions:
- Will this truly help me solve a current issue I am having in my business to help increase my bottom line?
- How many of these have I already signed up for and have never taken action on?
- Will the cost fit within my business plan this year?
- How long will it take me to pay this off or see any Rate Of Investment?
- Are the actionable items I need to take reasonable and attainable for me in my current situation?
- What action items do I need to do, and how much time will it take for me to complete them?
- Do I already have a program, coaching or service I still need to implement from the last event I attended?
Many times, we see the shiny object, get entranced and rush to the back of the room to sign up for another program that we may or may not complete. I realize this may be a hard pill to swallow, but I recommend before you attend another event or seminar you go through all the past you have attended and make a plan.
- See if the information is still relevant.
- Set up a plan of action to complete the program that will help you the most today.
- Take the time to only complete one before you move onto the next.
- Add up all the amount you paid for each one to see what your ROI will be once you complete each one.
I get it, new information is enticing, you get to spend time in a room filled with people just like you, you make great connections, you walk away with some really great content and notes. But the reality is, if you don’t take action on these you’ve simply been swayed by the newest shiny object.
Don’t take this the wrong way, because there a ton of great events out there and content to be had. But if you don’t act upon it, what was your ROI for that day including travel cost?
Instead of complaining how much you spent on this program, that system or event, maybe it’s time to take a look at what you already have in place and how you can improve upon it with the information you’ve already paid for. You cannot make a judgement call until you do the work. So, before you sign up for yet another event, maybe you should look at the reason you wanted to attend in the first place. If it was simply to get more connections and get to know the people in the room? Great, go in with this intent only. If it was to find ways to run your business better, then digest each one before you sign up. Ask these questions before you sign on the dotted line and get your credit card out.
- What type of action items are involved with this program?
- What’s the average time to complete your program?
- Do I have a chance to think about this first before I sign up today?
- Do you have anyone I can speak with who has taken your program before, so I know what to expect?
Many times, you have a short window to sign up for a lower cost and expected to make a quick decision. I personally trust my gut. Does it feel right for me and my business? Is it something I truly feel will make a difference to help me move forward and/or make more money? Will I be able to complete this program with my current schedule? If you can say yes, then by all means sign up. But if the answer is no, maybe you simply stave off for now until another shiny object comes your way that may be a better bet for you and your business.
Here’s to your business success.
Ever since Katrina R. Garcia was a little girl she wanted to dominate the business world. Today she is dominating the entrepreneurial world as CEO/Founder of KG Website Designs, where they help their client’s grow their list, build their business, and make more money with the one thing they already have in place, their WEBSITE. She has been in business for over 14 years and during this time has worked tirelessly to push forth the best customer service possible. She helps her client’s get more impressions and make money not only through their websites, but the new money making dynamic, membership sites.
She collaborated with Janet Kunst to pull together this membership site for entrepreneurs to find tools to help them manage their business and get more done in today’s fast paced world. Their ultimate goal is to help you work smarter instead of harder.